Sunday, April 19, 2009

Slipcovering a puzzle

Fabric: P Kaufmann outdoor cotton print
Settee backs are finished. Seats are mostly done. Waiting on some zipper tape.
see end of post for sources.

It's been a bit of a puzzle to figure out how to slipcover, not reupholster. The stripe is a bit bright, and although I love it today, I'm counting on the fact that at some point I'm going to be really happy to be able to change it out easily.













You can tell from the shape of the seat back, with that board that slides down behind the seat, that it was a bit of a puzzle.

I am happy to have been able to find
Vislon Zipper Tape-Molded Tooth
Sold by the yard; this very strong continuous Vislon zipper tape can be cut into any length. This is the perfect zipper for marine use. It cannot be made into a separating zipper.

at Seattle Fabrics.
Waiting on the zipper to finish the seats. Fortunately for me, there was only room in the car for the seat backs, so the fact that the seat bottoms weren't done yet wasn't a real problem.
Counting down....


oh, a footnote:
I'm sewing again, and am really excited. Today I began a navy linen skirt.
and
I'm halfway up the body (in the round) on the Apres Surf Hoodie. Pics to come.

13 comments:

Birgitte said...

Wow Marji, that looks so professional! I love the fabric too, and that piping, perfection. You certainly figured out what looks like quite a puzzle and it's smart to make it a slip cover, just think; you may want to have special covers for Christmas :)
I've been thinking of you lately with all the pirate stuff happening everywhere. It makes me nervous...

a little sewing on the side said...

Oh how exciting! I love seeing what you are sewing for the boat. It looks fantastic Marji!

Lindsay T said...

I love these slipcovers, Marji! That stripe's not too bright at all.

gwensews said...

Very professional. You have quite an ambitious project there. Good going!

Mary Beth said...

Nice job, Marji! Aftr all this type of sewing I know (from my own experience)that you're happy to be garment sewing again! We'll be happy to see your new projects

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

I'm glad you were able to get some of the boat cushions done. And some sewing for you too...wooo hoooo!

Mary, Mary... said...

It's really shaping up! I love the blue and yellow for that space. And I'm totally intimidated by the slipcovering process--that is one serious puzzle.

Liana said...

I love your slipcover fabric, and what a complicated project. It's so much fun seeing photos of you working, and I'm so glad you're sewing with a light heart again. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

WOW! You've been busy. I have been, too - but not half as neat stuff. It's baseball season, and pre-season for football. LOVE the slipcovers - can't wait to see my new pants! Love - d.

laura said...

You're much more industrious than me, I'm only going to make decorative pillows! We were really lucky when we bought our boat because even though it was about 10years old the cushions and matresses were in excellent condition. We don't think anyone ever slept on board and believe it or not the oven had never been used (only the stove top). Your cushions are beautiful and what a professional job!

Terry Sailingknitter said...

Fabulous slip covers - and very well-fitting too! Heck, I just made big "pillowcases" with zippers shoved in the ends to cover my cockpit cushions. Your sewing is amazing!

YES! I want the Threads DVD too.
Terry - just transited the Panama Canal yesterday

Lorraine said...

Marji- Glad to see your boat is getting in shape for the big launch. It must be alot of fun.

paco peralta said...

nice work, Marji. how are you? ... I hope all is well. greetings from Barcelona and happy Sunday.

Paco