Monday, May 18, 2009

Launched!


Before we left I did a bit more sewing for the boat.
The drawing above gives the dimensions for the pullman berth in the master cabin. Ever tried making a bed with square/rectangle sheets when the bed is built in and of weird dimensions?
I decided that I needed to make "fitted" sheets.

I began with a fitted sheet for a queen size bed, and opened up the fitted corners. Then I found I needed to add back some of what had been cut out of the corners when the rectangle was made. So I did that, then cut the sheet to the dimensions I needed to fit the mattress, plus 6" all the way around to fold around and under.
I don't have pics, but next I used the serger to apply the elastic to the corners and ends, and it worked like a charm. Best of all, the sheets are a perfect fit.
Now I need to go return the mattress pad I bought and exchange it for one of the more padded "feather-bed" ones. Then I'll go through the same exercise as above to fit it to the berth.


And, As the ticker up top indicates, it's past launch day and we're in the water!
A pictorial story follows. Last up is the seagull who's taken up residence on the piling straight across the dock, Keeping watch on our boat. I think he was really just waiting to see if we'd feed him some of the crackers and cheese we were sampling in the cockpit.
BTW folks, it's still bloody cold up there. When we woke up on the boat yesterday AM it was 52F in the cabin of the boat, and 40 F outside.














21 comments:

ClaireOKC said...

Oh I love boats and this must be so much fun and how neat to have your own slipcovers...but Brrrrrrrrr - that's a coooold temp!!!

Nancy K said...

That is rather cold! Have you considered one of the memory foam toppers for the bed? We got one for Alex for her college bed and she loved it.
Congratulations on your launch. When do you put the house on the market?

Mardel said...

Ooo, chilly. It is still cool here too, but we have had warm days in the 70s. The last few have been in the 50's though with nights flirting with freezing. We still have a frost advisory out for tonight.

But summer will come. So glad to see pictures of the boat and the launch.

a little sewing on the side said...

congratulations!!

Birgitte said...

Congratulations! And what a beauty she is! Hope it warms up soon.

Lindsay T said...

Congrats! Having grown up sailing I know what an ordeal that is.

Kathleen C. said...

Congratulations!!!

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Wow! How exciting! The day finally arrived!

You are so darn clever with the fitted sheets for the berth. You continue, as always, to impress me with your skills.

ACorgiHouse said...

How cool! (pun intended) You know I'm envious, but not so much I can't wish you much happy sailing! K

gwensews said...

Congratulations. Have fun!

luckylibbet said...

Congrats on the launch! I've heard stories from DH of his summer boating vacations and later crew on racing yachts...All the best for your great adventure - Heather

Lorraine said...

Marji- Hooray! That's so exciting!

Love the seagull.

Lorraine said...

Marji- Hooray! That's so exciting!

Love the seagull.

Mary Beth said...

Congratulations Marji! Thanks for showing us the boat. I'm shivering thinking about cold Michigan summers...Time to start sailing south?

laura said...

Happy Sailing! Life is different on a boat isn't it? Just day to day living is an adventure in itself. Normally I don't care to cook but I love the galley on our boat and suddenly cooking is fun! Keep us posted on the route you're taking, we're familiar with the east coast of the U.S. but don't want to limit ourselves to this area alone.

Carrie K said...

Oh, excellent! Keep me posted!

Clever of you with the sheets and padding.

Elizabeth said...

So exciting!

Sue said...

Your boat is gorgeous.. hope you have a great weather and there is prbably a sailing wish/saying I should bestow on you if I knew it...

melissa said...

Congratulations! You're certainly making me happy we've got entirely standard size beds though!

出張ホスト said...

女性会員様増加につき、当サイトの出張ホストが不足中です。女性の自宅やホテルに出向き、欲望を満たすお手伝いをしてくれる男性アルバイトをただいま募集していますので、興味のある方はTOPページから無料登録をお願いいたします

家出 said...

最近様々なメディアで紹介されている家出掲示板では、全国各地のネットカフェ等を泊り歩いている家出少女のメッセージが多数書き込みされています。彼女たちはお金がないので掲示板で知り合った男性とすぐに遊びに行くようです。あなたも書き込みに返事を返してみませんか