Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Long and rambling catch-up

We're back. I thought I'd have internet access on the boat, but at this point, we haven't bit the bullet and paid for the service up there, so, I've been offline since ~May 20.
I'm going to just try to catch up quick and dirty like, then add a few posts with more detail before I take off again.
1. The Boat - pictures at end of post
We got some sailing in, and a lot of work done on the boat. It's still quite cold up along the Lake Michigan shoreline. Every morning was a fleece vest or rain gear wearing AM, midday generally we could shed down to short sleeves, but by sundown we were back in fleece.

Me standing at end of pier where Holland lighthouse is located (see pics end of post). This pic was taken May 25. Note the fact that I'm wearing a skirt (very comfortable jeans style made from stretch woven cotton. I spent more time in that skirt than in the shorts I made), and wearing a sweater and then a fleece lined vest over. Temps were dipping into the 40's at night. I think we saw a high of 72 one day! :)
That thing in the background? - It's the dredging apparatus that blocks half the mouth of the channel everyday, and then they've got half the channel marked off with bouys. Hopefully they finish all this before we get back up there.

2. Knitting Progress
I got a lot of knitting done on the Apres Surf Hoodie I've been working on for myself.
My progress

The pattern pic.
Enough so that I can take a pic and it'll look like something. I love this knit. It's an easy lace pattern to memorize, and it's getting a lot easier for me to "read" my lace. I've always been proficient at reading cables, but lace - not so much. I've knit in the round up to the neckline and armscye split and am partway up the front above the armscye. I figure that puts me about 1/2 way. I still have 2 sleeves and the hood. The yarn is RYC cashsoft 4ply. Dreamy to knit with.
Oh, project monogamy on the boat is a lot easier. There's only one project to work on!

3. Current sewing
1. I've gotten a bit of sewing done lately too. Finally got out the camera and took some pics.
I finished a knit dress for my sister using BWOF 121
The fabric was from Gorgeous Fabrics last year, and the pattern called for a contrast and a wrap skirt. I decided to make it slightly less "Duro"-like and just ran the print the other direction for the contrast bands. I also eliminated the wrap part of the skirt as I didn't have quite enough fabric for that. Tany made a gorgeous version of this dress last year.
2. I finished a pair of black cotton shorts to take with us.
Forgive the picture. I wore them last night and they're wrinkled, but I didn't get a pic of them on me.
Pattern: Vogue 8365. The same pattern I used last Feb to make the yellow linen shorts and the turq blue cotton ones, that have both been tossed. I failed to stabilize the waistband in the yellow with staytape, and they stretched to the point that I could take them off without unzipping. Given that I have a large difference between my waist and hip measurement, you have to know, that is a LOT of stretching. The turq pair would have been fine, except I used an old and awful fusible interfacing in the waistband and it puckered and looked horrible. I couldn't live with it. Fortunately that incident caused me to clean out my interfacing drawer and toss out all the crap.
Anyway, I knew that I wasn't wild about the pattern, but I got so many nice comments on the shorts that when I found the pattern again - having thought that I'd tossed it too - I made the mistake of using it for these black shorts. The rise is too low. The cut is just a bit flat in the rear. Even though I raised the CB for sway back alteration, they're still not right. So, I'll wear these, but this time I did throw the pattern in the trash can. I'm getting better at that.
Next pair of shorts I'm going to try the new Burda - the paper-bag style that BeeBee just made, or the Alice and Olivia Vogue 1059 pattern that I've been using and loving for pants this past winter.
3. I made a full length body pillow using a white matellase from The Fabric Company in Chesterfield MO, for the boat of course. The walls of the boat are a bit chilly and I wanted something between me and the wall for these cold spring nights. No pics, of course. Easy construction. Zipper closure, no welting, boxed corners.

4. I'm currently working on BWOF 02-2009-105. Birgitte made a great black/white version of this dress last month. I'm loving this pattern every bit as much as she did.
I have the bodice made and will finish the skirt today and put it together. I'm making it two tone, using bits of fabric that I had in stash. This is an embroidered silk dupioni that I've been hanging onto for several years, trying to figure out what to do with the 7/8 yd that I had. This is NOT the way to match patterns. If I'd had enough fabric then the motif would match across the front. However, I'm not totally unhappy with the way the motifs are, and the fit on this bodice is fabulous. The skirt is a black rayon linen look. I'll review it and model it when it's done. Actually, I intend to wear it to work tomorrow.

4. Inspiration and future planning
I'm in love with this dress on the St Johns website. And, although I need another piece of fabric like I need a hole in my head, I'm looking for the possibilities.
There is this piece from Manhattan fabrics, but I'm thinking it's probably too heavy, and I'd really like a knit. Then, there is this from Elliott Berman. Not exactly the right thing, but closer. Then there is the problem of the graphic print to go with it. Anyone seen anything anywhere that might fill the bill?

5. The next wedding
is in September. September 19 at the northernmost border of Illinois. Could be hotter than blazes but most likely will be a lovely cool 70ish degree day. Avg high is 74 and avg low is 52 for Sept for that part of the country.

The bride has chosen red for her bridesmaids,
and her mom has chosen a pretty tea length navy blue dress.
I need to choose an appropriate color and style for a noon wedding that will be followed by a luncheon that will include dancing.
I have some ideas, but I'm open to suggestion at the moment.

6. Comments and emails
Like everyone else, I love getting comments and emails. I'm especially enjoying the emails that I'm getting from some of you telling me your boating and sailing stories. Who knew that someone many of us in sewing blogland know spent a part of her younger wilder days living on a houseboat? And I'm hearing from others who have the same / similar dreams and plans. And of course others of you who think I'm nuts!
Thank you all for putting up with my OT boat ramblings. I'll try to throw some sewing/ knitting content out there in the next week or so. There are some things on the table now that are blog-worthy.

Some pics:

Holland LIghthouse at entrance to chanel taken from land side

Entrance to channel taken from boat

Frieghter passing behind our boat slip

sails up
Lake Michigan shoreline off in distance


Mardel said...

Hey Marji, love the catch up post and the knitting looks lovely, like something that will be great to wear as well as knit. The BWOF dress looks really nice too, and the top looks nice enough even without matching. Can't wait to see the dress.

I love your boat pictures and posts even though I don't think I will ever sail, I'm just too clumsy. I don't think you are crazy though.

Lindsay T said...

Hi from a former Lake Michigan sailor. I'll bring my camera with me the next time I'm in the garment district to snap fabric possibilities for you.

Shannon said...

Whew! I'm tired just reading about all the things you've been up to lately! Thanks for the catch-up post - I've missed you.

cidell said...

I love the photos from the water! the pictures are great. And the dress for your sister is sizzling.

Carrie K said...

The top looks great - the pattern came out nicely. Cute shorts! It looks like cold but fun.

BeeBee said...

Still cold in Michigan? Darn. I'll be spending most of June there and was hoping for some pretty weather. But then 60 in the northern LP IS pretty.
I saw your comment on shorts review, and came over looking for pics of the matching jacket? I have extra fabric if you need it (see, now you won't need it, you know where to get more).
Happy sailing and I love the sweater, almost makes me want to knit. Almost.

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

Love the print dress!!

I've had the Apres Hoodie on my queue for quite some time. I think it's definitely time to put it in action. Funnily enough - I had some of the same yarn set aside to use for the project.

And, definitely don't apologize for talking about the boat and your water adventures. Maybe not all of us sail, but we all have dreams and hope one day to see them fulfilled. We're living vicariously through you. Enjoy!!!

ACorgiHouse said...

Love the hoodie, and the photos. Sounds like too much fun. Keep the updates coming. K

jae said...

I've been wondering how the boat was coming along. And it has been a pretty cool spring, hasn't it? (My house hasn't seen more than 68F all 5 days of June).

I'll be out towards the boat this Monday, and could be talked into it the first week of July, too. If you're in the area, let me know. Would be great to catch up in person.

Rose said...

Welcome Back!! I missed you! The pictures of the boat and Lake Michigan brings back memories for me. My biggest sailing adventure was coming within inches of getting hit by a big freighter (looked a lot like the one in the picture). We weren't able to catch the wind and the motor died. (Fortunately, it caught in time - guess there were more things I was meant to do in this life.) I'm impressed, as usual, by your sewing and knitting. I may learn to knit yet. Hey, I can knit and purl like crazy but go "duh" following a pattern - lack of patience I believe. BTW, you look so happy in the picture of you standing at the end of the pier.

Tany said...

You were missed, welcome back!

Nancy K said...

Glad you're back! The dress is great, and I have that fabric waiting to be a dress too. I love the dress for your sister. How did you handle the fba she usually needs on that design?
great sailing pictures.

laura said...

Of course I love the boating pictures and stories. Life on a boat is always an adventure and it sounds like everything went well with your trip. That's always a good thing.

Diane Fay (littlealma) said...

I was just skimming over a few new sewing blogs - but had to stop a minute when I saw the Holland light house! I recognized it, and knew where that was coming from! But, did you not make it down to the famous town of St. Joseph, MI? That is my stomping ground, and we also have a lovely light house! Anyway, just joking around - but I am procrastinating from sewing any further on a pair of capri pants I am working on. Can't decide if I want to keep them big and flouncy (butterick 5002) or make them thinner like the other ones I wear.....hmmmm... decisions, decisions....

Anyway - Hugs from southern Michigan - Diane

Courtney said...

I just started knitting again, and adore your apres surf hoodie. What a fun way to approach lace. It looks like I may have to treat myself to the Interweave Summer issue. :o)