Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The things you find on Ravelry

Warning, this post is almost all about knitting.

Gotta love Ravelry.
I finally got around to putting my Judy's Colors stocking on Ravelry, and by the time I did several other projects for this stocking have appeared. When I bought the kit there weren't any.
Well, along with the other projects was a link to an errata page at Judys Colors.
Wouldn't you know!
First, the colors in this brocade knit fabric are close enough that it's hard to see that some of the trees look as if they're missing a limb in the center. It only shows up when you get out the camera. So I just blithely knit the leg of the stocking, following the chart, as written. Yesterday, when I took pics, I thought "those trees look lopsided".
Well, duh, there is an error in the chart. I like to think that if I had been working in a higher contrast yarn combination that I'd have seen it. I have to confess, I'm not ripping it out.

So, this probably isn't the best segue into announcing the fact that I'd like to get into the pool of test knitters for Minimissimi's new wrap cardi Winter Rose. (isn't it pretty?)

Photo belongs to Minimissimi at www.vaivai.com
Gotta love that Friend Activity function on Rav, since it helps filter what you look at by showing you what your friends are tagging. This sweater first came to my attention when Tany tagged it as a favorite.
A couple of years ago I knit the Adrienne Vittadini lace cardi with the surrounding ruffle for Helen.
I found then that I work well with deadline. And, I'd like a sweater like that for my own wardrobe. I've been thinking about going back and knitting the Vittadini for myself, but then this came along, and it's a bit more updated. So I tossed my name in the hat to be a test knitter.
I think that Minimissimi's sweater coat is brilliantly designed. How to take bulky cables and make the design actually visually slimming in a coat is brilliant, IMO.

Other happenings at Ravelry:
Hands On Retreat has been announced. It's a knitting retreat scheduled for May in Chicago. Terri Shea and others will be teaching. Franklin Habit is the keynote speaker. How much fun can that be? So, I already booked my room and plan to go. ... Guess what! It's at exactly the same time as PR Weekend in Philly next May. Last night I told Cidell this, and she just wailed at me "I don't want to hear this!" oh (expletive deleted). Registration and class sign up for Hands On Retreat is coming up soon, and I need to make a decision. Philadelphia or Chicago in May?

Ravelympics have been announced and teams are forming. What to knit, what to knit?

photo from Karabella pattern circular
I do know that before the winter olympics in February I'm going to get my USA scarf knit. I bought this pattern and yarn just after the last winter Olympics, knowing that I wanted it for the next one.

So, did you participate in the Yarn Harlot's Knitting Olympics? In Ravelry's Ravylmpics? are you thinking about it for February?

ohhh, wouldn't it be great if the Winter Rose pattern were ready for test knitting for February, and That could by my Rav project.? First I've got to get selected though. Cross your fingers for me.

8 comments:

Sigrid said...

Love the wrap cardi. Makes me want to pick up my knitting skills, I used to knit a lot, but didn't do any the last 15 years or so.
Good to see you around again.

Mardel said...

I still love that wrap cardigan. I'll still have to wait for the published pattern although I do well with a deadline, and in fact could use a couple about now.

Shannon said...

I never in a million years would have noticed the lopsided tree unless you pointed it out - and even then I had to squint a lot!

And WOW!, that lace cardi is stunning!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Not to be funny but I'm with Cidell about the PR Weekend...I mean damn I'm going...you should be going too!

Glad your back to blogging, btw!

Carrie K said...

I wouldn't have noticed the tree either.

Winter Rose looks like a perfect addition to your wardrobe although how you parted w/that Vittadini.....I know, I know.

The Hands On Retreat sounds fabulous! What's the PR Weekend?

I'm not participating in the Ravelympics - it's the most crazed time of my season.

Anonymous said...

OK so I haven't spoken to you since I made up my mind - or asked and was told which would be prefered. Scratch the arms on the vest. I'll follow the pattern as it was meant to be. Well meant to me until you helped me adapt it to circular knitting.

MAR

Ell Noir said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Xan said...

How's that for thinking alike? I too, knit this AV cardigan (but for myself).
Since I am such a girl-y girl, I did it up in AV's Fiora with the sequins in white-I'll have to photograph it for you soon...
Sorry, I left this post a couple days ago, not realizing I was on my daughter's blog log-in, ha! I will have her remove the comment above. Cheers!