Sunday, November 08, 2009

sample sample sample




Moving on to the next items in the purple passion project, this morning I'm deciding on treatments for the front of yet another skirt.

I know, all are pics of the same sample. Trying to get good pics. Sometimes it really helps me to see it in pictures to see what's working or not.

I used the patch method of making a bound buttonhole. This fabric is lightweight and the patch method is good for light-med weight projects.
But I'm thinking that
a. the lips are too wide. This whole buttonhole was marked on 1/4" wide overall, and is only 7 stitches wide. (Yes, I count stitches on my buttonholes - it's 21 st long by 7 st wide). Next one I'll make 6 st wide. I'm using a 1.5mm st length.
and
b. that I like the contrast piping for the front edge of the skirt, but I don't like the contrast for the buttonhole. It's just too much!

What do you think?

see how the stitching line is one stitch above the marking? Next one will be one stitch below the marking.






Hopefully later this afternoon I'll nab the hubby and we'll do a photo shoot of the finished garments. Productivity reigns here at Fiberarts Afloat.

11 comments:

Mardel said...

Yes, the one stitch narrower will be nice. Although I love the buttonhole, can you do it in the regular fabric? I think that would be even nicer. Can't wait for the fashion show.

Cindy said...

Gorgeous fabric. I actually like the wider buttonhole with the chubby button. I love that you count stitches! I am learning that taking time to do 'crazy things' ends up saving time in the end.

KayY said...

I agree the buttonhole is too obvious. Narrower would be better, but I'd also go for the main fabric instead of the contrast.

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

I do think that the buttonhole is drawing too much attention. I like the contrast piping on the edge but not on the buttonhole. Also, I think it should be narrower - as you said, either the 6 or 5 stitches wide.

You are such a productive girl, aren't you?!

Bunny said...

I like the wide lips. They echo the stretched out shape of the button circle IMO. As far as fabric, I would have to see one done in the herringbone. Sometimes a tiny print can look mismatched in such an intense small detail, even it it is matched.I would have to see it.

Vicki said...

Well it is a beautiful sample and I like it just the way it is. Thinner would be good too. I like the contrast and if you go to the trouble of such a beautiful buttonhole it is nice to see it. Maybe being smaller may make it less intrusive. Reading the comments I see I am outvoted...more samples? Or just go with your gut feel :)

Summerset said...

For that particular button and length of buttonhole, I think the lips are a bit too wide. Going a bit narrower would get the proportion right. Whether you should use contrast depends on whether you want to draw attention to the buttonhole or not. From the photos, if that's the contrast, it is pretty subtle to me, but that could be computer monitors, too.

Lindsay T said...

Geez, Marji, we don't hear from you in like forever and now I can barely keep up with you! I was going to do bound buttonholes on my blue coat but yesterday I found some stunning black frog closures at M&J, so I'm going with those.

Rose said...

The buttonhole in your pictures looks nice. At the same time, I agree with those who said a narrower buttonhole in self fabric should look even better. The piping looks great! Keep up the productivity!!

Nancy W. said...

I think for the size of your button, you may want to do a narrower welt. What about a piped buttonhole (in self fabric)?

Carrie K said...

I like it just the way it is too. Why can't my knitted buttonholes be as nice as sewn buttonholes?