I just added a ticker bar to the header on this blog. When I consider how long this adventure has been a dream, something in the planning stages, the reality of the beginning is mind-boggling.
Originally I began this blog as a way to document the reduction of my stash as I prepared to go live on a boat.
Along the way I've met many wonderful women, some who've become online friends, others who've crossed the internet barrier to become IRL friends too. And I've become a more and less active member of creative online communities including Stitchers Guild, Pattern Review, and Ravelry.
and along with that, I've learned all about the joys of the availability of EVERY kind of fabric and yarn possible, just by the click of a button. So the inherent tendency I had to buy extraordinary pieces of fabric when I saw them, because I might never see them again, turned into a problem.
It's taken a lot of time to turn the prism and view the situation of buying fabrics differently. Now the axiom is "there will always be more fabric [yarn]".
Meanwhile, my stash has grown, not shrunk, even though I've managed to get a lot of sewing and knitting done in the last several years.
oh boy. Now reality sets in.
Timetables - I thought about 3 tickers, but just couldn't go there yet.
Launch: tentatively set for May 15
Next wedding: Mark and Megan, Sept 19
List the house for sale: tentatively shooting for Oct 15.
- prior to launch -
- get the boat cushions recovered
- organize everything here that is going to the boat for the first two week sail. Fortunately we have all summer to move things to the boat and figure out what is going to work on board and what isn't. But there are certain things I need to have on board from day 1.
Well, I just found out that Cuisinart and Magma both make cookware sets just for our situation. Right now I'm leaning towards the Cuisinart. I like the two size saute pans and only one saucepan, as opposed to the multiple saucepans and only one saute included in the Magma set. I've also read in reviews from other boaters that the lack of lids is a real drawback to the Magma set. I'm thinking there's an online purchase coming up soon that doesn't involve fiber.
Magma on left, Cuisinart on right
- Prior to the wedding - lots left to do, I'll find out more about my role in 2 weeks when Mark and Megan are here for Easter.
- Prior to listing the house. oh my achin' head
- repaint the primary living areas and the girls room
- finish all window treatments
- get Cherry floors refreshed, if not refinished.
- and for what you're interested in - brutally assessing what I can keep, and what I need to let go of. This is where some of the destash is going to come in. oy.
It probably won't be really interesting to watch me tick off items from a list - but do stay tuned if you're interested in the destash to come.