Sunday, January 03, 2010

2010, Moving Forward

2010 promises to be a year of great changes for us.
I've read bloggers who're making resolutions, and bloggers who aren't.
Because this year promises so much change, all I can do is take it month by month. For January I'm implementing my "1 hour" plan.

Every day
  • Exercise 1 hour. In 2009 I embarked on a program with a personal trainer and lost 25 lbs. Unfortunately since November I've gained back a few of those, so I'm resolved to getting back to the workout program with an hour a day. Included will be a similar weight work program to that I was following with the trainer. When I had my bone density scan last Spring I was told my bones "look like sponges". Not good. I was told that I could improve the outlook by taking calcium and doing weight work. I'm determined that my bone density scan will look better this year than it did last.
  • Spend 1 hour cleaning a day The house is on the market now. I've put in countless hours cleaning out and scrubbing, getting it ready to put on the market. Now I've got to maintain that level of clean, as well as continue to declutter and clean out. If I devote just an hour a day I ought to at least be able to maintain the clean.
  • Knit 1 hour. As noted in the last blog post, I've finished up a lot of the UFO pile. I'd like to continue finishing up what is on the needles, as I have a lot that I'd like to start. My goal here is to work it down to only 3 or 4 projects on the needles at once. I need one complex item that I can only work on when I can devote full attention to it. I need one item that is portable (mittens etc), and one item that is completely mindless that I can knit on in social situations. I'm pretty close to that right now.
  • Sew 1 hour. LOL, I can see anyone who's reading this shaking their head saying "right, just one hour to knit and/or sew!" Well, these are my goals and these are my minimums. Because I know that I can at least accomplish more than I did last year if I put in an hour every day. And this month I'm ready to start SWAP. more about that later.
  • limit computer browsing to 1 hour a day - 'nuff said. oh, and I'm deleting the solitaire games from my computer. What a useless time sink that I fell into last fall. I want to keep up with my blogging and to keep up with your blogs. But I don't need to play endless games of Spider or Freecell and I don't need to lose entire mornings on the computer.

I've cut my work schedule back, so this ought to be doable. After my requisite hours I'm allowing myself to work on whatever I want.
Already this AM I put in my hour on knitting and got the Apres Surf hoodie to the point where I bound off the hood. After giving it some thought, I'm going to set this aside again in favor of finishing up







the Rhiivilla mittens I've got on the needles, and working on






the Norwegian sweater that I cast on for Christmas eve. I want the hoodie to wear in the Spring. I want the mitten to wear next week! If I put all my 1 hour blocks into the mittens then I ought to be able to wear them next week!
___________
Sewing
Ah, the state of my sewing room is appalling. The state of my sewing projects, both in process and abandoned is appalling. I hope to devote more attention to the sewing than any other activity this month.
I've joined SWAP (Sewing With A Plan) on Stitchers Guild again. 17 weeks, 11 garments. I have more to sew than just the swap plan, but in order to keep on track, I'm going to set a goal of one SWAP Item a week.

I think I'll begin with a dress.

21 comments:

Shannon said...

Excellent goals - well, except for the cleaning one. :)

Loving that SWAP plan - I will enjoy seeing it come together.

KayY said...

I hope you have the persistence to carry out your plan - I could get on board with some of it, but definitely not the cleaning! Commiserations re the spongy bones. I have some of those myself. Weight-bearing exercise is our friend!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Personally, I think you can do it! Just make a schedule and follow it...and once you get the more involved items out of the way with your SWAP, you will be done in no time!

Fran said...

Your fabric combinations are gorgeous! Can't wait to see them made up.

Mardel said...

I am sure you can do this, and your list sounds remarkably similar to my list, so perhaps I will put mine up as well. Certainly a lot of my success with previous weight loss came from my rigid 1 to 1 1/2 hours of exercise every day, and rigorous goals of what I wanted to accomplish in that time.

I am sure you can do this.

Vicki said...

Good luck! I am thinking of joining SWAP too. And I am definately wanting to lose weight..lol. But give up spider solitaire...never!!

Nancy K said...

I wish you lots of luck in keeping your resolutions. I've been hesitant to make any because I never keep them myself!
Your swap looks great and I love the fabrics you've chosen.

Cindy said...

Happy New Year Marji. I love the 1 hour plan. I adore the hoodie sweater. Truly gorgeous!

Joanne said...

Syne Mitchell, a wonderful weaver who is responsible for WeaveCast and WeaveZine, talked about stalled projects and assigned 3 projects a day where they will be worked on an hour. I thought of your post when reading hers http://www.weavezine.com/weavegeek/weaving-resolutions-2010

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

The goals sound like a wonderful idea. I've been working on what my goals are and had the same thought. I can only see a month at a time for planning purposes, so have goals for this month, what I'd like to accomplish.

The mittens look beautiful! You'll have those done easily!

fabricfan said...

Wow, that is impressive. I should consider taking off my solitaire games off my computer as well. I hope your house sells quickly.

Elle said...

Spider solitaire is evil! You're wise to delete it from your computer. Good luck with all your "hours"!

laura said...

Good Luck with selling your home, I got rid of my house the week of Thanksgiving! I've been hitting the gym since September and while I've only lost a couple of pounds, I'm down a clothing size. Getting old is HELL!
We are almost sure we're going to move aboard our boat this summer so I'm trying very hard as of now to use up the fabric I have and not buy new. Will I really do that? I doubt it.
Anyway, it sounds like you've set reasonable goals for yourself. Perhaps if we just set aside one or two 'anything goes' days each month we could stay on track!

Maricou said...

Selling your home is quite an undertaking.
Happy New Year.
Your goals are quite reasonable and should set the same for myself.
Last year I sew the Oscar de la Renta big bow top though I did not blog about it.

JenSA said...

You're right about surfing on the web...and those blasted games. I watch my good intentions go out the window when I sit down at the computer. Wait where am I now?? I should take your advice and get my butt back to sewing. Also have a SWAP to work on.

Rose said...

Great goals, great knitting projects, and a great SWAP plan. I'm betting on you doing it all!! I look forward to following your progress. I only have one question: Are you going to continue the 1 hour cleaning after the house sells?

Summerset said...

I think your January goals are smart and is taking it one month at a time!

I love that Apres Surf hoodie! What is the pattern name/maufacturer? (If you have the time, I know that internet time is limited, LOL!)

JustGail said...

Happy New Year! Very pretty mittens. I envy your 4 hours everyday items, even the cleaning one. Good luck on the house selling.

NGLaLALa said...

Ooo.. I like the idea of taking goals one month at a time. I need to do the same... 1 hour exercise, 1 hour cleaning. :)

The Slapdash Sewist said...

That is a lot of hours in a day! I once kept my home immaculate for 40 days. I hoped I had created a habit. I had not. *sigh* Perhaps I should try 15 mins/day of cleaning.

AllisonC said...

Happy New Year and good luck with your resolutions. I think routine is important - not that I always manage to stick to them. I agree that the computer can be a huge drain on time, but reading sewing blogs doesn't count, it's education right??!