Friday, February 26, 2010

There are deadlines


Verena Cable and Lace pullover #2 from the Premier Issue

There are deadlines.
And then, there are Deadlines.
deadlines - those artificial dates by which something must be completed, as the final dates for finishing a knit item for Ravelympics or finish sewing 11 garments for SWAP contest for Stitchers Guild. Those are "deadlines" that one must meet in order to win a prize or the right to display a medal ravatar next to ones name on a message board. But there are no real consequences to not meeting the deadline. And, those deadlines are purely voluntary anyway.

Then there are Deadlines. The date one must have a dress done to wear to a wedding. The date one must have everything packed up to be ready for the movers when they get here. The type of dates that have consequences if things don't get done beforehand.

Back before I knew for sure that we would have a Deadline for movers I signed on for SWAP (sewing with a Plan)- the 11 garment sewing challenge beginning Dec 26 2009 and ending April 30 2010. The truth is, I should have begun sewing that wardrobe that I'd planned and collected the fabrics for back last October. I needed those outfits for Graduation in December in Athens GA, and over the Christmas holidays, and in January and for our trip at the end of January. Waiting to begin that wardrobe to meet the dates of the contest was a poor decision on my part. As it is, I won't be finishing the blue/black 11 piece wardrobe this go-round. Because I have very little sewing energy or time, and I need to make some clothes more appropriate for warmer weather, and some bedding for the boat.
An alternative SWAP plan I created using all stash fabrics is a warmer weather one.

These are clothes I'll wear beginning as soon as it warms up a bit more - think end of March, and I'll still be wearing as we cross the Gulf Stream in November on our way to Tortola.
You'll notice I have a bunch of knit sweaters up there in the top right corner.
Which brings me to the knitting I've been engaged in since the lighting of the Olympic Torch.
The pattern is from the Burda knitting publication Verena. So I decided to join in the Ravelry knitting Olympics event and knit this sweater during the course of the Olympic games.
Again, an artificial deadline - but a fun way to intensely focus on one item and maybe get it finished.
ready to cast on Feb 12
day one progress, back started above the striped ribbing, provisional cast-on
Feb 17, back finished February 21 two sleeves at a time, Feb 25
back and sleeves finished. Front cast on

Sadly, I won't make the deadline there either. But I'm close enough that I Will make the deadline of having it finished to wear come Springtime.
Yarn: Karabella Aurora 8. I used 5 balls for the back, 3.5 balls each for each sleeve, and only have 4 balls left for the front and the striped neckband. I still haven't quite decided what I'm going to do about the hem. I just don't see 4" of horizontal striped ribbing at my hips, KWIM?
In any case, I'm going to run out of yarn before I've finished the front, so I need to get online and order another ball of red. There isn't a LYS in St Louis anymore that sells Karabella, so I need to order from NY.

All this knitting has cut into some of my packing and sorting time too.
I need to get off my tush this afternoon and get back downstairs to pack some more Stuff.
This week I'm looking at the books upstairs too.
I'll blog more about the packing and sorting process over at our sailing blog - SV FarNiente, Living the Dream

8 comments:

Stash said...

Yummy sweater!

didyoumakethat said...

That looks like a seriously complicated knit. Well done!

Ann's Fashion Studio said...

Your plan loooks beautiful! I love the color combinations.

Lisette M said...

I love Verena patterns! Your sweater looks wonderful, I wouldn't put that wide horizontal stripe around my hips either =O

Rose said...

Ha!Ha! I wear horizontal striped ribbing at my hips when (and only when) I'm having skinny dreams at night. That's a lovely sweater and alternate SWAP. Artifical deadlines do help get things done! Speaking of real deadlines, I do tax returns and have a distaste for the IRS where missed deadlines are costly. Back to work for me. Happy packing!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Love the stripes in that sweater! I am so jealous that you'll be wearing summer clothes in November.

Mardel said...

I love that sweater. I love your plan. Just reading about everything you are doing sounds exhausting.

But think how glorious it will be when it is all done.

Lorraine said...

Marji- What is that saying "failing to plan, is planning to fail"- we all need to have a blueprint.

Cute sweater.