Monday, May 20, 2013

Quilting Project

My garment sewing friends are going to be a bit dismayed to hear that I've gone over to the dark side... I'm getting into quilting. And boy have I jumped into the deep end, taking on an epic project. 
The pattern is by Sue Garman, the Friends of Baltimore quilt. It's really convenient to work on this project while on the boat. 


Hand Appliqué blocks for my Baltimore album quilt.
The eagle block is traditionally included in the Baltumore Album quilts. I've completed this block now up to the point of adding embroidery. This photo was taken before the berries were added to the branch and the remaining flowers added to the banner at the top. And before I had a clue as to what I was doing. Notice the wonky gold lozenges on the wings of the Eagle. My appliqué and prep work was not up to my high expectation for standard of work. 
So in February I flew to Norfolk VA where my mom picked me up. Together we attended the Elly Sienkewicz Appliqué Academy in Williamsburg. I took a 4 day class from Evelyn Crovo Hall- she's Fabulous! This is the block from her class- I should say the start of it. I learned so much, and now my work is up where I would like it to be.
Don't exactly know what I will do with that block, but I love it!
So, back to Friends of Baltimore:


Finished appliqué portion of this block. Saving the embroidery work for later.

6 comments:

Vicky F said...

Your applique work is fabulous! Hopefully no one delists you because of the quilting; tell them it's a new form of tailoring.

Carrie K said...

Not only quilting but applique! Your Baltimore blocks are gorgeous.

Oh piffle. I think all needle-arts have their place and beauty.

Mary Beth said...

Truly beautiful dark art (say *that* 3 times really fast) Marji. So cool that you've been able to take classes and with your Mom, too. Garment makers will be dismayed? La-lalalalala, I can't hear them.

Sew Lady Sew! said...

Stunning!

The Slapdash Sewist said...

My mom recently went over to the dark side as well. There must be something in the air! I think your eagle applique is quite impressive! I definitely couldn't have managed anything like it.

JustGail said...

There is no "dark side" when it comes to fabric and needlework arts. Unless you're talking about the lightbulb in your lamp burning out :-). Besides, after finishing this, I bet your hand sewing skills will be awesome.

I look forward to reading about your progress on this. I think the eagle looks great, the "wonky bits" give him personality.