Friday, June 21, 2013

Landing






its official, so I'm going public with this now.

We're going to build a land-based home. Last November we bought property in South Carolina, then went off cruising again.
We will keep the boat and after the building project is finished we will go off sailing again. Probably to ports as yet unexplored by us. Possibly the Caribbean, possibly up the East Coast, possibly down to Georgetown in the Bahamas, who knows, we'll see.

And building a home means I get a studio. My own space to play and create in. I'm SOOO excited.
The space that I'll be getting for my studio is space that normally might be storage, so I definitely will have some arranging challenges.
I've pulled the picture below from Houzz - you know, that time sink site that you can get lost in for hours. This is very similar to the space I'll have. Right now I'm considering lighting, storage, work station space, and aesthetics. Because it's HOT in SC for much of the year I'm very reluctant to put in lighting as featured in this photo. Adds too much heat. But I'm also not thrilled with banks of flourescent lighting. I've been spending hours in building stores, kitchen design stores, and on the internet researching options.
If you follow me on Pinterest you may have seen my winnowing process. As I consider options I'm posting alternatives, then as I get closer to decisions I delete the "pins" that don't make the cut.
(today I've been posting white refrigerators - I do not want a big hunk of stainless in my kitchen in the only place the refrigerator will fit, and I do not want to spend the $$$ for the built in kind that utilize your own cabinet doors)







15 comments:

couturearts said...

How very, very exciting! Not least because I can start reading about your creations again!

Mary Beth said...

My dear, I'm so glad for you! I've actually suspected that you were thinking of a land based home for a while now. So, a Big Congratulations is in order!!!

Wind Spirit said...

Will be fun to follow your adventures in building!

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Congrats on getting a new sewing space! I will have to follow you on pinterest now to see your choices!

Cindy Ann said...

Very exciting! I figured building was in your future based on your "pins". You've got some great ideas there. :)

Mardel said...

How exciting! I haven't kept up with pinterest (or anything) lately but I'll have to go check it out. I'll be starting to plan my own sewing studio later this summer as well.

And South Carolina is not that far away!

Nancy K said...

How exciting! A place out of the basement too! Look at lED lights. Virtually no heat, cheap to run and the bulbs last a very long time. I know that they are more expensive to start, but in the long run they will save money and certainly ac costs.
At least in SC you'll be near the sea and can take off whenever you want. Enjoy the process.

Nancy K said...

That was LED lights. We are using them for outdoor low voltage and they really lower the cost of aftercare.

Anonymous said...

I've been pretty impressed with LED lighting, too. Congratulations on your new home! And yes, there should be a 12-step program for houzz. -Karla

Vicki said...

Thats exciting. Best of both worlds!

Mark said...

Have you seen and thought about skylight tubes? I should have put one or two of these in my kitchen when I had things opened up.

merry-one said...

Congratulations! When I first started looking at sewing blogs, you were one of the ones I waited for a posting. This many years later I still look at them and miss the "originals." I hope you have a blast in all your endeavors.

Mary

fabricfan said...

I was following you on pinterest, so it is not a big surprise. Excited for you.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Congratulations! I've spent a lot of time in South Carolina (though the upstate area; I suspect you'll be on the coast) and it is a beautiful state. Have fun planning your studio!

And I agree with you on the stainless hype for fridges. I have one. It shows every fingerprint and isn't magnetic. I'm not sure how either of those is an advantage!

meredithp said...

Congratulations! That's exciting news.

You could use CFL flood lights, which is what I have in my NC sewing room. No heat that I can tell. And they last so much longer than incandescent.