Saturday, July 27, 2013

The appliqué quilt blocks

Lately I've been spending a lot of time working on the appliqué quilt. Specifically on the prep. I'm using a freezer paper prepared edge technique, as taught by Evelyn Crovo-Hall. There is a significant amount of time spent transferring images to freezer paper, cutting out each individual element of the motifs in paper, then pressing  to fabric, cutting again, painting the edges with a solution of spray sizing, then ironing the edges under. At this point the pieces are basted to the block. I use teeny tiny drops of Roxane's basting glue to baste the elements I'm going to stitch right away, and use silk thread to baste the elements that I plan to stitch later. In the block below most of the leaves are thread basted as I plan to take this with me to the Midwest next week. I'm stitching all the red cherries down now. It's really nice after all that prep to actually sit down to stitch awhile. This is the start of the oak leaf and acorn block.
I've also been working on the Off-block construction of the flowers. There are over 600 flowers on this quilt top, and most of them are constructed "off-block" first before placing them on the quilt block or border and stitching them down. 
Below are two of the pink flowers. They are ~3" to 4" in diameter. T
This is good and easy stitching to do while sitting on the boat. 
As I think I've noted before, this is my 5 year project. 

4 comments:

Carolyn (cmarie12) said...

Seriously that is going to be awesome when finished ~ though I don't know if I could work on something for five years!!!

Mardel said...

That is going to be really beautiful. Actually I like the idea of a five-year project, especially one that is intentinal and acknowledged, as opposed to those projects that are supposed to be quicker projects but mushroom into five-year projects. :-)

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Wow, I am impressed at your patience and precision. The work you have done so far is beautiful!

Wendy Hinton - Online PhD UK said...

I am still trying to get the hang of the freezer paper technique. Your quilt is starting to really come together. I love what you have done with it so far.


My homepage | Online PhD UK Programs