Saturday, January 16, 2016

Getting Back to Garment Sewing

Well, I finished my Storm At Sea quilt top - it's on the frame at the long arm quilters as I write this.


I finished Jeff's Mariners Flags lap quilt top - it's quilted, just needs blocking and binding. Pics to come.
I finished the 5 knit Norwegian Stranded Sweaters, the 2 Christmas stockings, a headband and a dozen or so ornaments and gave all away for Christmas.
I did finish this, but neglected to get a picture. And my son doesn't want his picture on the blog - otherwise I'd post one of him wearing it.



I'm very close to having my Double Wedding Ring quilt top assembled.

I've knit a top since Christmas, for myself. I still need to crochet the edging around the armscye and knit a hem on it, but I intend to wear it Thursday so I'll need to finish it tonight or tomorrow.
I've also knit an American Girl Doll dress for the boutique for our quilt show in March. I need to block it and take pics.
And I've started on another project for next Christmas, using some yarns I have in stash. this is a good thing. I'll space it out so that it doesn't seem overwhelming.
___________________________
So now I need to start sewing some clothing for me.

My friend and I went to Charleston to an Image Consultant 10 days ago to get our colors "done". Back in the 80's when the Color Me Beautiful book first came out someone somewhere determined I was a Winter. There were only 4 Color Seasons then. There are 12 or 16 now depending on who's program you're subscribing to. Obviously I've aged. But I've read that our colors get cooler as we age. I've also read that distinguishing between a Deep Winter and a Deep Autumn is challenging - or conversely, it's easy to miss and get them wrong with each other.
You've guessed whats' coming. As I'm older the nuances are less forgiving. I can no longer carry off any Winter palette. I've been classed as a Low Contrast Warm - Deep Autumn. There are a very few colors that cross over between the two deep palettes - one of them being Sapphire blue. Thank heavens for that!
But, all my black, my black and white, my white, and all my white with bright fabrics simply won't do anything for me. As much as I walked out of that appointment kicking and fighting against the classification, I know she got it right.
Welcome to my new color palette.
I've spent two days in my fabric closet - emptying out. Piles on 3 different tables. By far the largest piles were on the table of what I need to let go of. I now have a huge bin of pink and grey fabrics for my sister. Most of the white-with-bright cotton prints ended up back in the closet on the shelf with the fabrics to sew for my granddaughters. A whole stack of fabrics I "might be able to use for bottoms and contrast" went back in on one shelf. I'll revisit those in a year and may decide to let more go then. I sorted through my home dec fabrics and stacked those on two shelves.

And I have been busy measuring and picture taking, to put up a Sale or Trade page. I have collected some awesome fabrics, and most of the black fabrics I'm reconciled to finding a new home for. One where they might get sewn up, one where when they are sewn up the wearer finds joy in the fabric.
The Flickr Album where I've been uploading the pics of what I'm letting go of is here.
I'm about 1/2 way through.
.
http://www.smithsonianstore.com/clothing-accessories/scarves-shawls/floral-fantasy-jacquard-scarf-22441.html

5 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Hey Marji! Good to see you back sharing even if it is to trade fabric. So I went to look at your Flickr outfit and what did we do, call each other as we bought?! So much of my collection looks like what you're willing to trade. I hope you have good luck with the trading. Let me know if there is a specific color you're looking for...we can talk about me donating to your cause!

SewRuthie said...

Good luck! I can't help you as I also recently discovered black is not in my palette, hope you get good swaps for what you have.

Mardel said...

Hey, I'm piling things up to start some sewing soon, for me that is. Most of your things aren't in my palette either, so I won't be taking things off your hands, but I'm about to go through another sort. There were some things that weren't in my palette that I saved anyway when I moved as I still got many compliments when wearing a few autumnal colors, or occasionally, black or cobalt. But my hair got darker before it started going more gray, so that may be understandable.

And I see the point about the colors too, as I was mislabeled as a winter and a fall before finding my true color palette which is a soft or muted summer. Apparently a lot of muted summers are confused with autumns, or even occasionally certain types of winter, and I can see how, with a four-color system, things could have been more confusing when I was younger. However I see how my palette is right, and I am now most comfortable in colors that are in my true palette, or which blend in with it quite well.

Mohammad Salauddin said...

So beautiful dress these are. excellent color and pattern.
Fabrics USA Inc | African Wax Print Fabric

Fabrics USA Inc. said...

really beautiful dress and very good information can help us. like all design
AFRICAN PRINTS, AFRICAN WHOLE SELL FABRICS